Saturday, January 23, 2010

Suppose I got a phone call . . .

The phone rings. I pick it up.

A voice I have cannot mistake says, "Hi, Jim. This is Jesus Christ. I'll be passing through Jacksonville in tomorrow, and I'd like to drop by and say hello."

And I say, "Gosh, yes, Lord! I'd be delighted. Come right on by. Stay as long as you can."

But when I hang up, I think, Oh, my! How much I need to do to get ready! The Lord is coming, and look! This place is a mess!

So I run outside and begin raking up the pine needles on the lawn. After all, a good first impression counts for a lot.

I'm there, working away, when this guy walks by on the street. He watches me for a while with an amused expression and finally says, "You really look frantic. What's going on?"

I say, "Look, a really important visitor is coming and I've got to get this place looking good."

So he says, "Well, if it's really important, I haven't got anything else to do. Let me help you." He sees my dubious expression and says, "Really, I'm not looking for a job or a handout. You look frantic, and I'll be glad to help. Let me finish raking up the pine needles, and you go ahead and work on something else."

So I hand him the rake and I rush inside to begin cleaning and dusting and vacuuming and all the other things I need to do.

In a few hours, he comes in and says, "The lawn's done! Can I help you with something else?"

So I look, and the lawn is great! So I say, "Thanks! I really appreciate it. Could you help me with this vacuuming, while I finish the dusting?"

So he vacuums while I dust, and he washes the dishes while I get the laundry done, and he volunteers to scrub the toilet while I mop the kitchen floor.

As darkness falls, I look around and the house is spotless. I turn to my helper and say, "Really, truly--thanks. I don't know what I would have done without your help. Though you may not believe it, Jesus is coming here tomorrow, and I really think He will be satisfied with what we have done."

And he said, "You're very welcome, Jim. I know I'll be satisfied with it. After all, we did it together."

1 comment:

  1. Excellent example to be ready at all times, not just an announced visit!

    ReplyDelete

Followers

About Me

Jacksonville, N.C., United States
Retired teacher, motorcyclist, member of the Patriot Guard Riders, the Christian Motorcyclists Association, and the Moto Guzzi National Owners Club.