Friday, July 22, 2011

Hot, busy day

Today was a very hot day, with the Heat Index here in NC reaching 110 or better. I was out in it most of the day.

At 7:30 a.m., I left for Wake Forest to form a flagline in honor of World War II Veteran James E. Steffens. There were more than 20 PGR members there and we lined to road to the service on both sides. The family was gratified.

I ate lunch at the Olive Garden in Wake Forest, then visited Barnes and Noble until time to leave for the second service of the day.

World War II veteran Richard Kantzler's funeral was held at the Seventh Day Adventist Church in Goldsboro. There were about 10 PGR members there. Once again, the family was gratified.

"Jammer" Bill served as Ride Captain for both events. He did a superlative job. He is conscientious, considerate, and makes everyone feel good about what is going on. I always enjoy working with him.

I ate dinner at Bojangles on Best Road in Goldsboro: a place to avoid.

Got home late. The Triumph functioned perfectly. An excellent bike for the freeway, just as I had hoped.

The heat was punishing, but I wore my Veskimo cooling vest. It did a great job. Every time I started getting overly hot, I turned it on and it circulated cold air under my shirt. It is going to make standing on the flagline a lot less unpleasant this summer.

1 comment:

  1. How wonderful you bikers perform this service to our special men (and women) who served our country. . . THANK YOU!

    ReplyDelete

Followers

About Me

Jacksonville, N.C., United States
Retired teacher, motorcyclist, member of the Patriot Guard Riders, the Christian Motorcyclists Association, and the Moto Guzzi National Owners Club.