Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Getting started with a new President

It may seem strange that a retired teacher wants to start a blog so late in his career, but I feel a need to start something new and different as a new (and quite different) President comes in.

I have already noticed that two controversies have arisen about President Obama's inauguration:
  • Aretha Franklin's singing of America: I cannot hear her saying "shut up," as some others have heard. To me, she is riffing on "let it," as in "let it ring."
  • Rev. Joseph Lowery's prayer. I can't understand what the fuss is about. He prayed that the Lord will help white people embrace the right. As a white person, I thank him. I hope the Lord will let me embrace the right, also. He didn't say that no one else was ever wrong. He didn't even say that EVERY white person needed to embrace the right. Yet I have read that he is engaging in hate speech. How is praying that someone will embrace the right, hate speech?
In any case, good luck to President Obama. He will need it. Things are not very good right now, and promise to be not-so-good for a long time.

4 comments:

  1. Jim, I've followed you on tnet for years. It's exciting that you have a blog now! And I agree about Aretha and the Rev. What a silly thing to get all 'het up' about, as my grama used to say.

    jane.eyre.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Welcome to blogland, Jim. You might recognize me as Kathy/WA at T-Net. I've been blogging for a year and a half--but have mostly a general photoblog, plus a localized photoblog.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good points!

    I am excited to see you have joined us blogger/Tnet posters. It's a fun place to write and add photos also.

    Paulie (PERBS - my initials)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well let's see if I can post here :-) It's been frustrating for the last 12mths or more that I can't post on Tnet and I have tried from 3 different computers and servers and with differing names..I give up. Anyway I always read and relish lots of the ideas and opinions you have Jim, so will enjoy this I'm sure and may even be able to respond!!!!! Fingers crossed as I press POST COMMENT

    ReplyDelete

Followers

About Me

Jacksonville, N.C., United States
Retired teacher, motorcyclist, member of the Patriot Guard Riders, the Christian Motorcyclists Association, and the Moto Guzzi National Owners Club.